Thursday 30 August 2012

Good Luck Joe!



The transfer of Joe Bennett to Aston Villa came about on Tuesday before our league cup game v Gillingham, news came out that Villa had made a bid for our talented left back. After further discussions the following day Middlesbrough accepted a bid and player travelled to Birmingham for talks. It all happened pretty fast with the transfer confirmed early evening for fee believed be 4.25m.

Joe shortly after news broke about signing for Aston Villa, tweeted ‘Not going to lie it’s been a really hard decision for me, I’ve spoken to a lot of people about it and for my development I think I’ve made the right choice’ This followed another tweet saying ‘I’m going to miss everyone at Middlesbrough. I just want to say Thank You to everyone that has supported me throughout my time there. I’m excited for a new challenge at Aston Villa’

Always sad to see players from academy who starred in first team leave club, in an ideal scenario you would like to keep your best players and hopefully he will be playing for Boro in prem next season. That’s not case we have got good money for an England U21 player who’s not the finished article, but has huge potential to make to the top.

This pre season been frustrating for Joe after suffering a knee injury, George Friend come in and looked bargain buy for 250k the figure that Strachan nearly sold Joe for! Friend had best game last weekend against Crystal Palace looking solid in defence and making some great runs to support the attack putting some great crosses in the box. Since Andrew Taylor left to join Cardiff Joe didn’t really have any real competition Friend was bought to give him that.

Joe has got a new challenge now in Premier League, I’m sure he will strive on the competition for places at Aston Villa. Joe done well in last 20 months after been frozen out by former manager Gordon Strachan, Mowbray believed in his ability and gave him his chance in first team making the left back spot his own. I’ve enjoyed watching him play for the Boro over last few seasons, and will watch his development continue at Aston Villa. He comes across as nice down to earth lad who well respected in game, from all good wishes he had on twitter! It could be a quick return to the Riverside next season for the talented left back! Let’s hope so! Good Luck Joe!

No comments:

Post a Comment